For decades, UNDP has been deeply committed to governance on water, the foundation of survival, source of civilization and key to ecology. The on-going Water Governance Umbrella Project in China, under UNDP’s collaboration with China International Centre for Economic and Technical Exchanges and the Coca Cola Company, which we call “the Golden Triangle”, has been in operation since 2007.
The 12-year of endeavour focused on a variety of key areas from cleaner production, improving water efficiency, to pollution control:
· non-point pollution control
· water saving irrigation techniques
· sustainable agriculture
· reasonable water quota management
· support water user associations
· drinking water safety in schools and kindergartens
· industrial and domestic sewage treatment and recycling
· waterborne disease control
· optimise floodwater utilisation
· wetland conservation
· water and soil conservation
· ecological rehabilitation and ecosystem management
The 15 provinces, municipality and autonomous regions are: Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia, Heilongjiang, Liaoning, Tianjin, Shandong, Gansu, Shaanxi, Shanxi, Henan, Jiangsu, Sichuan, Zhejiang, Fujian, and Guangxi.