What is #StayCool?
With ongoing international discussions on climate change and in response to environmental issues in China, a two week-long campaign, called #StayCool, was announced on the Social Good Summit on 23rd September in Beijing. Initiated by UNDP and supported by the Social Media for Social Good Alliance, #StayCool promotes the global goal of guiding emission reduction efforts through raising awareness.
The campaign coincides with the COP20 Conference held from December 1st to 12th. COP20 in Lima is the foremost, principal opportunity for global nations to negotiate and shape the contribution they will give to vastly reduce their carbon emissions, before a definitive commitment in United Nations Climate Change Conference 2015 in Paris.
Why is it #StayCool?
In 2009, it was agreed that holding any temperature increase to below 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels is needed to prevent dangerous climate change. At the UN Climate Summit in September 2014 and the upcoming Climate Conference in 2015, world leaders gather in New York and Paris, to achieve for the first time in over 20 years of UN negotiations, a binding and universal agreement on climate, from all the nations of the world. The overarching goal is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to limit the global temperature increase to 2 degrees Celsius above current levels. Breaching the 2 degree band would intensify droughts, floods, heat waves and extreme storms that are already disrupting the world.
The #StayCool campaign is a social media selfie campaign that will promote awareness of the two degree band. The campaign calls everyone to upload a selfie of them doing the 2 finger peace sign and/or wearing sunglasses in turn supporting the below 2 degrees band.
How can you #StayCool?
- Participate! Tell us how you #StayCool to raise awareness around the global 2 degree band and climate change in general. Post pictures on Weibo, Twitter, Instagram and other social media sites with 2 finger peace sign and #StayCool #Below2Degrees #UNDPChina and challenge two friends to do the same!
- Compete! The netizen with the most interesting and thought-provoking picture will be given a surprise token prize. Your picture will also be the cover photo on UNDP China’s website!
- Let’s talk! With 2015 approaching, there is much more to be done to ensure environmental sustainability as per the Millennium Development Goals. Join the conversation in China around climate change! Follow us on Weibo (@undpchina) and WeChat (ID: undpchina).
- 10 million + page views of our #StayCool topic page
- 270 conversations generated around the main topic
- 17 million + people also viewed #COP20