UNDP in China
Who we are
UNDP has been working in China over the past 40 years, partnering to advance various phases of China’s development. UNDP continues to be in the forefront of working with China both to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) domestically and through China’s global cooperation around the world.
UNDP’s support in China is closely aligned with China’s national development strategy. We facilitate the achievement of the SDGs in line with the 13th Five-Year Plan promoting sustainable development principles in development and economic decisions, focusing on reducing inequality, recalibrating the economy for more inclusive growth, reducing the environmental impact of China’s rapid development putting the country on a low-carbon footprint, and assisting to China’s increasing role in global development cooperation as an effective development partner.
We provide development advisory services and implement projects through innovation and applying our international experience and network in three pillars:
- Supporting China’s transformation to a low-carbon economy so that more people enjoy a cleaner, healthier environment. With China’s scale and size, environmental protection and sustainable green growth will impact global efforts to combat climate change and environmental degradation.
- Facilitating China’s shift to using the SDGs as a standard for its inclusive development, economic decisions and investments. By developing and applying standards and measurement frameworks to influence public and private decisions, we strive to improve living conditions and economic opportunities, change citizen behavior and ensure no one is left behind.
- Assisting China’s emergence as an effective global development partner. We do that by promoting economically, socially and environmentally sustainable development cooperation from China that benefits partner countries.
What we do
UNDP China’s actions and programmes are defined in its Country Programme Document for China 2016-2020 which is prepared in cooperation with the Government of China and other partners. The CPD is based on the broader United Nations Development Assistance Framework UNDAF Action Plan 2016-2020.
Within this framework our programmes address the following areas:
- SDG Integration and Sustainable Investment
- Biodiversity and Clean China
- Disaster Management
- China's Global Engagement
- Low-Carbon Transformation
- Innovation and Technology
Globally, UNDP works in about 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
Ethnic Minority women supported with traditional embroidery
local farmers benefitted from inclusive financing models
Chinese foundations’ have contributed to the SDGs
million tonnes of CO2 phased out
million people now have access to clean drinking water
million pieces of e-wastes recycled in 3 provinces
people benefiting from trilateral partnerships in Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Antigua and Barbuda, and Rep. of Dominica
people benefitted from UNDP early warning systems for disasters
households in Malawi benefitted from UNDP- China- Malawi trilateral cooperation projects